[PODCAST] Small Town Murder Podcaster, Jimmie Whisman, Shares His Advice and Experience As A Successful PodcasterMar 23, 2021
5 years ago, Jimmie Whisman and James Pietragallo made the decision to create a true crime podcast called Crime in Sports. With a crude setup in an apartment in Phoenix, Arizona, the comedic duo recorded their first podcast with two lapel microphones and a video camera to capture the audio.
This episode can be found AD-FREE, unedited and in its entirety here.
Once that first episode was complete, they uploaded it and only got 12 total downloads.
Disappointed in the downloads, James was ready to call it quits before Jimmie reminded him that it was only one episode and they had to give the podcast some time to grow.
Fast-forward 5 years later and the comedic duo now host an additional podcast, Small Town Murder and tour the United States doing live podcast recordings for thousands of adoring fans.
How did these two get here?
In this episode, Jimmie shares how he and his partner grew their podcast to garner thousands of downloads per week and now are the creators of their own fate and future.
What you'll learn from this episode:
- The early days of building Crime In Sports.
- How they build content for their podcast.
- Whether their audience likes longer or shorter podcasts.
- What it takes to create a successful podcast.
- How to deal with life's interruptions
- How he and Jimmie earn their money and and handle sponsorships.
- Their Patreon tier structure methodology.
- The impact of pollinating your audience.
- and much more...
==========PART 2 BELOW============
Last week's episode was left on a bit of a cliffhanger when I started asking Jimmie Whisman about sponsorship pros and cons.
This week, Jimmie shares insight into the pros and cons of podcast sponsorships and what podcasters need to be aware of. This conversation is a nice setup to the following topics that we discuss:
- When you should start a Patreon account.
- What Patreon tier structuring looks like along with the bonus content.
- Whether cross-pollinating your podcast is as effective as you hear it be.
- How live podcast opportunities present themselves and what to expect from a live audience.
- Jimmie's take on sound quality.
- What podcasters should do when they reach milestones in their podcast.
I hope you are able to learn something from Jimmie's experience from creating a successful podcast.
Also, there's a bonus episode in my ad-free version over at http://www.thepodcasttherapist.com/adfree.
This week's topic: "What To Prepare Before Filing Your Taxes For Your Podcast Business."
You can subscribe here.
You can reach out to Jimmie and James on the following social media sites:
Jimmie Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/whismansucks
James Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jimmypisfunny
Crime in Sports Twitter: https://twitter.com/CrimeInSports
Small Town Murder Twitter: https://twitter.com/MurderSmall
Jimmie Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/whismansucks
Small Town Murder Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/smalltownmurder/
Crime in Sports Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Crimeinsports
Small Town Murder Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/smalltownpod